Do you look after someone who is ill or disabled?

If you do please let your doctor or nurse know so that we can offer support and help.

Service we offer at the Surgery:

  • Please feel very welcome to talk to any doctor or nurse about your caring role and how you are managing – or not managing if the situation is becoming more difficult for you. Don’t worry about taking up time (a common worry for carers) – just ask for a double appointment. Please talk to us sooner rather than later – between us we might be able to prevent a crisis!
  • With your permission we can add you to our Practice Register of carers, and make a note on your computer medical record that you are a carer, and who for. This means that all the staff who deal with your care will know that you are a carer and will take account of that, understanding the complications it can mean for you. However you may be involved in looking after someone but not want to be actually designated as a carer for them – just tell us if you don’t want to be actually registered as a carer on your medical record.
  • We use our register of carers to let you know of any local events, services or conferences for carers. However it is completely confidential to the Surgery as is every other piece of information we hold and details are never released to any other person or organisation not directly involved in your care here.

We are often involved in referring people for help with their caring role to Social Services, Occupational Therapists, the Benefits Agency, voluntary organisations like the Carers’ Associations, the Northern Fells Group, Age Concern and many more. You may wish to contact some of these direct and their contact details and links are below, but if we can help with a referral please just talk to any doctor or nurse.


The three Carers’ Associations provide information and help on all aspects of caring: a listening ear, carers’ assessments for Social Services and voluntary help, benefits advice and help with forms, respite/breaks for carers, moving and handling, aids and adaptations, coping with stress and more.

Crossroads Caring for Carers (provides help and respite for carers):

  • Carlisle and Eden: 01228 547518
  • Allerdale: 01900 828012

Northern Fells Lend a Hand Group provides voluntary help to people who are ill or disabled and their carers living in the seven parishes of Boltons, Caldbeck, Castle Sowerby, Ireby/Uldale, Mungrisdale, Sebergham/Welton and Westward/Rosley.

Contact Gail Dewis on 016974 77196 for details of the handyman or personal care/respite help offered, or visit

Cumbria County Council Social Services provides practical help to carers – home care for the person you are caring for, respite care either in a Home or in the person’s own home, Occupational Therapist’s assessment for aids and adaptations and provision of the same. Most of this help is means tested as is the help offered by Crossroads and some of the help offered by the Carers’ Associations. Ask about this when you talk to the organisation concerned.

Useful Websites

Department of Health – Caring about Carers:

Carers UK – The Voice of Carers:

Young Carers Initiative: