Sue Black and Kathleen Conway
Telephone: 01228 602066.
Community Nursery Nurse, grew up in South Africa,worked internationally and moved to Cumbria mid 1970. Worked in Pre-School Education for 10 years. Has worked in NHS since December 2000.
Practices covered are Caldbeck and Dalston. Also works in Wigton area when required.
What Do We Do?
- Supportive home visits following baby’s birth.
- Developmental Assessments – 8 months, 2 years and pre-school.
- Hearing Tests – now done at first home visit from Jan 2005.
- Referrals to relevant agencies including audiology, orthoptist, speech therapy, enuresis, social services, etc.
- Promote and perform immunizations.
- Breastfeeding support.
- Supporting families with childcare issues including school children.
- Health Education/Lifestyle Advice.
Child Health Clinics
Regular clinics throughout North Allerdale to bring your children along to for help, advice and information from the Health Visitor and Nursery Nurses. Babies can be weighed at these sessions.
- Kirkbride Surgery, 3rd Wednesday in month 1.30pm – 3.00pm
- Silloth Clinic, Thursday 1.30pm – 3.00pm
- Aspatria West St. Medical Centre, Tuesday 1.30pm – 3.00pm
- Wigton Surgery, Wednesday 9.30am – 11.30am
To discuss issues surrounding childbirth.
Group for parents and carers, we cover topics such as weaning, baby development, health issues, maternal mental health, First Aid.
Baby massage sessions are available throughout North Allerdale, the benefits of Baby Massage are well known, it helps with dry skin problems, enhances babies’ sleep, promotes bonding, reduces colic and constipation, helps nasal congestion, the benefits are tenfold! The sessions also give Mums time to talk about any issues and exchange information to help with parenting.
Sessions are held in rotation in the following venues.
Wigton Clinic, Aspatria Clinic, Silloth Surgery, Dalston Surgery, Kirkbride Village Hall.
Please telephone Sue Black or Sue Nicoll for details on 016973 66608.
These sessions are all free.
These are held by Sue Black in Low Moor Church Hall, Wigton on Tuesday mornings.
Beginners Pilates exercises designed to promote flexibility and strength particularly to the pelvic floor muscles following birth. It is good fun and at present time is free. Childcare for babies 6 months and under can be arranged if told in advance.
Contact Sue Black for details on 016973 66608.
For babies and children up to school age. Term-time only.
These groups help to promote speech and development in the pre school child and are great fun.
- Jingle Tots, Thursby Village Hall. Contact Sue Nicoll/Sue Black for details, 016973 66625.
- Rattle and Drum, St. Cuthberts Hall, Wigton. Every Monday in term-time 9.15AM – 10.30am.
- Rattle and Drum, St Kintergen’s Hall, Aspatria. Every Tuesday 9.15AM – 10.15AM.
- Rattle and Drum, Allhallows Centre, Fletchertown. Every Thursday 9.30am – 11.00am
- Rattle and Drum, Prospect Village Hall, Prospect. Every Friday 9.30am – 10.30am. Phone Surestart for details. 016973 71741.
If you want to use this service please telephone Surestart on 016973 71741 as they will soon have a catalogue available and toys are available to borrow.
Stay and Play
These are play sessions run by Surestart, just turn up with your child for a play. Sessions are free.
Venues – Aspatria, Silloth and Wigton.
Contact Surestart Team for details, 016973 71741.
This clinic is run by Sue Black and Sue Nichol to help parents/carers resolve sleep management problems in babies over 6 months and up to school age or even older. We offer support and advice and if necessary a Home visit to talk through the problem and help resolve sleep management issues.
This is for parents/carers of children who have problems with bedwetting. This is a very common problem and can be talked through with our specialist nurses. Their contact names are Wendy Wilson and Judith Pearson and they can be contacted at Wigton Hospital on 016973 66625.
For general Health Visitor/Nursery Nurse Enquiries please phone our team on 016973 66608.