There is a District Nursing Team that covers the Caldbeck, Dalston and Aspatria area. We are employed by Cumbria Partnership and have a base office at Caldbeck, Dalston and Aspatria Surgeries.
- We provide patient centred nursing care to anyone in the two surrounding areas who are housebound for whatever reason. Please Note: personal care is covered by Social Services.
- We accept referrals from various sources, ie. hospital, General Practitioners, family members, patients themselves, social workers, receptionists, etc.
- We are accountable for the service we provide and proactively encourage criticism and feedback from our patients on suggested service improvements.
The District Nursing service is available 24 hours of the day. To access the service we provide the following contact numbers:
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm:
Caldbeck Office: 016974 78320
Dalston Office: 01228 711615
Evenings 5.00pm to 10.00pm or Bank Holidays or Weekends:
Tel: 016973 66641
Night Nursing Service 11.00pm to 8.00am:
Tel: 03000 247 247
It is appreciated that the evening and the night service be limited to urgent needs that cannot wait until the following day.
Your friendly, enthusiastic District Nursing Team are:
- Elaine Wilson – Community Nurse
- Janet Rasburn – Community Nurse
- Sandra Johnstone- Community Nurse
- Donna Hetherington- Community Nurse
- Jennifer Little- Community Nurse
- Melanie Hetherington – Community Healthcare Assistant
How to Access the District Nursing Team
Anyone can ask for advice from the District Nursing Team or for the District Nurse to visit if they, or someone they care for, has an identifiable nursing need. If that need is urgent the District Nurse will respond on the same day of the request otherwise the District Nurse will arrange an appropriate time to visit. We have an open referral system allowing for patients, carers, families, multidisciplinary team members, statutory and voluntary organisations to make direct contact.
The aim of our District Nursing service is to provide evidence based, effective, quality care which can be accessed over the 24 hour / 7 day period. We work from 9am till 5pm at Caldbeck Surgery and can be contacted direct at approx 9:30am otherwise after 2pm or leave a message via reception or on our answering machine – telephone 016974 78320 (our answering machine is checked regularly throughout the working day). Our answering machine also has the 24-hour telephone contact numbers for all out of hour District Nurse services within NHS Cumbria.
The majority of our District Nursing work takes place in the home setting but we also occasionally provide care within a Treatment Centre / Dressing Clinic / Doctors Surgery / Health Centre / Hostel / Residential Home or a Nursing Home which requires specialist advice.
We regularly work closely with other services. With your permission we may need to refer you to another service provider to ensure your care needs are met. Some examples of other services are listed below.
- Community Equipment Loan Store based at Maryport.
- Community Psychiatric Nurse
- Continence Advisor
- Diabetes Specialist Nurse
- Disablement Services
- Heart Failure Specialist
- Health Visitor / now known as Public Health Practitioner
- Home Care Services
- Hospice at Home Service
- Hospital Services
- Intermediate Care Team
- Macmillan Nurse
- Meals on Wheels
- MS Nurse
- Occupational Therapy
- Practice Nurse
- School Nurse
- Smoking Cessation
- Social Services
- Stoma Care Nurse
- Tissue Viability Specialist
- Vascular Nurse
- Voluntary Agencies eg – Age Concern