Order Transport

If you have problems with transport the surgery staff are able to help. Please read below for more information on the various transport means available in your area.

Patient Transport Service

Patient Transport Services (PTS) take non-emergency patients to and from their hospital and clinic appointments. the service is provied by the North West Ambulance Service and more information is available.

Patients may be eligible for PTS in the following circumstances:

  • Where the medical condition of a patient is such that they require the skills or support of PTS staff on/after the journey
  • Where it would be detrimental to patient’s condition or recovery if they were to travel by other means
  • Where the patient’s medical condition impacts on their mobility to such an extent that they would be unable to access healthcare
  • Recognised as a parent or guardian where children are being conveyed

To book hospital transport a patient or someone on their behalf should ring 0800 032 3240. The call handler will then ask a few questions about their general health and mobility to see if they might be eligible for NHS transport.

If you are making the booking yourself, you will probably need your NHS number to do this. If you don’t know it, you can ask your GP surgery or a health professional who is treating you and they will be able to provide it.

Patients who book their own PTS will be taken through the criteria over the phone by the call handler at the call centre.

Rural Wheels

Rural Wheels provides door-to-door transport for people who do not have, or are unable to access scheduled transport. 

The service can be used for a variety of purposes including:

  • Making connections with buses or trains 
  • Doctor, Dentist or Optician appointments     
  • Visiting friends or family in hospital
  • Shopping
  • Visiting friends or family

 It does not duplicate other County Council transport provision and therefore cannot be used for transport to day care, school, nursery or college and cannot be used for hospital appointments/treatment if Patient Transport is available. If you need transport to get you to your hospital appointment please check your eligibility for Patient Transport by contacting the Patient Transport Service run by North West Ambulance on 0800 032 3240. 

Rural Wheels uses a ‘Smartcard’ to pay for travel and a central booking system to plan journeys.  Passengers need to apply for the Smartcard before they are able to travel.  The value of the Smartcard can be topped up with the transport provider or alternatively at local post offices, libraries and mobile libraries.  Transport requests must be booked by telephone before noon the day before travelling and passengers may be asked to be flexible about their travel time and also to share transport which will be at a reduced fare.

To apply online go to http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/roads-transport/public-transport-road-safety/transport/commtrans/ruralwheels.asp please use link to download the application form. You can return your downloaded application by post or alternatively contact the Rural Wheels coordinator on 0845 602 3786 to apply over the telephone.

 Top of Page

Transport to the Surgery

The surgery are also able to advise with voluntary services in the area.

If you live in Boltons, Caldbeck, Castle Sowerby, Ireby/Uldale, Mungrisdale, Sebergham/Welton or Westward/Rosley parishes the Northern Fells Minibus is available for people who do not have their own transport in these parishes. The minibus has a lift for wheelchair or walking access.

Telephone Carol Hickson on 016974 78787

Top of Page

Cumbria County Council Voluntary Car Service

There is also a Voluntary Car Service for people without their own transport living in a number of villages and in Wigton. There is a charge per mile made, to cover petrol costs. Telephone the Transport Officer: 07788396194.
Top of Page