Do you need help with finding out if you are eligible for maternity, disability, carer’s or low income benefits and allowances, including help with health costs? Have you got concerns about housing problems?
A number of organisations can help you – see below for details. Assistance can be given with checking if you are entitled to a benefit, and with completing claim forms.
If you are housebound most of the helping organisations can arrange a home visit.
Please do not hesitate to speak to one of the nurses or doctors at the surgery if you are unsure about contacting a service listed, or are unsuccessful in reaching them.
Help with health costs if you are on a low income – prescription costs, fares to hospital, dental costs, optician/glasses costs, wigs, fabric supports. Click Here for more information about prescribing costs.
- Talk to your doctor, district nurse or practice nurse
- Telephone the Health Benefits Division: 0191 203 5555 (about help with health costs)
- Contact the Citizens Advice Bureau or the Northern Fells Group if you need personal help with information about eligibility or with claim forms – see contact details below.
- Talk to your midwife at your first or following appointment
- The Citizens Advice Bureau can advise on all aspects of maternity benefits and allowances as well as a wide range of welfare matters – see telephone numbers and link below.
This includes Disability Living Allowance, Attendance Allowance and Incapacity Benefit
Talk to your doctor, district nurse or practice nurse.
- A number of organisations can help you with information and with filling in claim forms: The Northern Fells Group Benefits Co-ordinator if you live in their area, Age Concern if you are over 50, or The Citizens Advice Bureau – see below for details of all these organisations.
- Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance Helpline: 0845 712 3456. Have your National Insurance number handy when you ring. These allowances are not means tested and you will not be asked about income or savings – just about the help you need with personal care, mobility or support with household and financial affairs.
- Talk to your doctor, district nurse of practice nurse. It is helpful if we make a note that you are a carer on your surgery record so that we are aware of your situation and its possible effects on your life and wellbeing.
- A number of organisations can help you with information and with filling in claim forms:
- The Northern Fells Group Benefits Co-ordinator can help with claim forms and give details of other support available from the Group for carers – see below for details.
- The Carers’ Associations will give you help with claiming Carer’s Allowance if you are eligible, and they give wider information and support as well: help with respite, outings and meetings for carers and much more. Allerdale: West Cumbria Carers, 01900 810101 or 01900 816402 or 01946 694022; Eden: Eden Carers, 01768 890280; Carlisle: Carlisle Carers, 01228 542156.
- The Citizens Advice Bureau can also help – see below for details.
- Carer’s Allowance Helpline: 01253 856123. Have your National Insurance number and details of your income and savings handy when you ring.
This includes Child and Working Tax Credits and Disabled Person’s Tax Credit
- Contact the Inland Revenue Tax Credits Helpline: 0845 300 3900
- Website: www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk
- Have your National Insurance number and details of your income and savings handy when you ring or go on the web.
- If you would like personal help with checking eligibility or with forms contact the Northern Fells Group if in their parishes (Boltons, Caldbeck, Castle Sowerby, Ireby/Uldale, Mungrisdale, Sebergham/Welton, Westward/Rosley) or the Citizens Advice Bureau – see below for details of both organisations.
Job Seekers’ Allowance
- Contact the Job Centre, Carlisle: 01228 605000. They will give you details of other Job Centres that may be more convenient for you to attend – just tell them where you live and where is easiest for you to attend.
- Websites: www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk and www.dwp.gov.uk
- The Northern Fells Group or the Citizens Advice Bureau may be able to help with sorting our problems if you need support – see below for contacts.
Housing and Council Tax Benefits or Problems with Housing
- Contact your local authority in the first instance: Allerdale, 01900 702650; Eden, 01768 817817, Carlisle, 01228 817000
- Contact the Northern Fells Group or the Citizens Advice Bureau for personal help in claiming benefits or following up problems: see below for contact details.
Organisations and Contacts
Citizens Advice Bureau
- Wigton: 016973 44026
- Penrith: 01768 891503
- Carlisle: 01228 633900
- Age Concern Eden: 01768 863618
- Age Concern Northwest Cumbria (Allerdale): 08443 843 843
- Age Concern Carlisle: 01228 536673
Northern Fells Group
For people living in Boltons, Caldbeck, Castle Sowerby, Ireby/Uldale, Mungrisdale, Sebergham/Welton, Westward/Rosley parishes.
Benefits Co-ordinator, Antoinette Ward: 016974 78220.
Antoinette can also give you information about the Northern Fells Group’s other services: the minibus service for anyone of any age without their own transport, lunch groups for older people, the Lend a Hand Group for people with disabilities and their carers, the Youth Initiative.